Last Wednesday night, we had the pleasure of attending an etiquette dinner with several other programs. Almost every second year marketing student attended, all while looking business professional and polished.
Here are a few of the tips we found most useful, along with some that should be common sense:
- DON’T talk about controversial topics, like religion or politics. It puts tension on the table and can make people uncomfortable.
- DO actively listen. Repeat their name right away so that you will remember it in the beginning of the conversation.
3. DO introduce the higher ranking person first. For example, “Mr. President, I’d like you to meet my friend Sally”.
4. DON’T do the things your parents have been nagging you about for years- chew with your mouth closed, elbows off the table, and take small bites so you can answer questions quickly.
5. DO be polite to waitstaff. Many employers judge a potential employee by how they treat people that can’t benefit them. Plus, it’s just the right way to act!
So there you have it ! Those are a few of the best tips we picked up last night at the Western Technical College Etiquette Dinner.
Feel free to comment with your favorite dinner etiquette tips 🙂 Also, check us out on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!